Jesus speaks of how we relate to God. In the following verses, we see the difference between those who are God’ children and those who are not. Only by knowing and trusting God, we have faith to receiving healing from Jesus even though Jesus had taken upon Himself all our diseases in the crucifixion (“by His stripes, we were healed.” (1 peter 2:24)
To Satan (a fallen angel, who has become an enemy of God), God is still the only Sovereign God. Jesus reminds Satan that he has to worship God, Who is above all names.
- Matthew 4:7 Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall not tempt the Lord your God.’”Matthew 4:6-8 (in Context) Matthew 4 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
- Matthew 4:10 Then Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’”Matthew 4:9-11 (in Context) Matthew 4 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
- Luke 4:8 And Jesus answered and said to him, “Get behind Me, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’ ” Luke 4:7-9 (in Context) Luke 4 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
- Luke 4:12 And Jesus answered and said to him, “It has been said, ‘You shall not tempt the Lord your God.’ ” Luke 4:11-13 (in Context) Luke 4 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
Not all are really God’s subjects. Jesus has thus warned. God honors Jesus, the Son of God. Those who reject Jesus do not belong to Him. Those who belong to God know and honor God and Jesus.
- John 8:53-55 53 Are You greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? And the prophets are dead. Who do You make Yourself out to be?” 54 Jesus answered, “If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing. It is My Father who honors Me, of whom you say that He is your God. 55 Yet you have not known Him, but I know Him. And if I say, ‘I do not know Him,’ I shall be a liar like you; but I do know Him and keep His word.
For all who profess to be believers, Jesus reminds that we are required to worship God in a total dedicated way: love Him with all we have and above all. God honors Jesus, who is the Son of God. Jesus is the only Way to God. (John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.)
- Matthew 22:37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ Matthew 22:36-38 (in Context) Matthew 22 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
- Mark 12:30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. Mark 12:29-31 (in Context) Mark 12 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
God is the Father of Jesus. He is qualified to call God His God. But here assured Mary, a faithful follower and disciple, that she too can call God her Father and her God. Only those in Christ, become God’s sons and are entitled to all the privileges Jesus has. As Jesus is, so are we in this world. (1 John 4:17 [ The Consummation of Love ] Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world.)
- John 20:17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.’” John 20:16-18 (in Context) John 20 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations