We read on from the Book of Matthew to learn what Jesus has spoken about how to receive and maintain our mental health, how not to be afraid of the oppressions, depressions, anxiety, panic, obsessions and many other mental torments that the tormentor may try to put in our mind. Study shows that our mind controls our physiological functions. Even the feeling of pain is controlled up there and not down at the location where you encounter or feel the pain reaction impact.
The war is in our mind. We can win this war when we refuse to let the enemy (the tormentor) control our mind (our thoughts, belief, attitude, value system, habit, conditioning, perspectives, feeling, emotion and mood)
One of the healing keys is : “Don’t be afraid”. Fear opens us to many forms of related issues. The conditions in our body and our mind become magnified in intensity and frequency and seem increasingly worsened to the point that the tormentor expects us to give up fighting.
Why should we not be afraid? Jesus promises the following:
- There is nothing mysterious about the symptoms that you are encountering. There are causes and there are healing solutions.
- The words of God will help you to overcome. You can proclaim the promises of God and receive the power therein.
- The symptoms cannot kill your soul. They may cause you discomfort and obstruct some of your functioning at sometime, but in the long run you will come out whole.
- Why this optimism? Because God says you are valuable to Him. Jesus has promised.
- Action: believe in Jesus by faith and accept His words. Don’t be afraid to tell others you are a believing Christian. Jesus and the Father in heaven are behind you 100%!
Matthew 10:26-33 New Living Translation (NLT)
26 “But don’t be afraid of those who threaten you. For the time is coming when everything that is covered will be revealed, and all that is secret will be made known to all. 27 What I tell you now in the darkness, shout abroad when daybreak comes. What I whisper in your ear, shout from the housetops for all to hear!
28 “Don’t be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell.[a] 29 What is the price of two sparrows—one copper coin[b]? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. 30 And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.
32 “Everyone who acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven.
- 10:28 Greek Gehenna.
- 10:29 Greek one assarion [i.e., one “as,” a Roman coin equal to 1⁄16 of a denarius].