Jesus speaks of how double-mindedness can obstruct the full benefits of following Him. This is a common problem with healing the mind. When we hear of some ‘new’ ways of healing by man we tend to want to go after it. We then forget that Jesus has healed us by His crucifixion on the cross more than two thousands years ago!
Healing (physical and mental) is forever settled by Jesus. When we believe we are like His followers who told Him they wanted to follow Him.
But not all followed wholeheartedly. Jesus has noted and advised as follows:
- Don’t expect from Jesus a fixed pattern or a fixed place for you to receive your healing. Receiving healing is through believing His words by faith. It is exactly the same as receiving salvation.
- Just follow Jesus.
- don’t give excuses.
- separate yourself from the common belief and practice of those who don’t know of Jesus’ healing.
- after you have followed God’s way of healing, don’t look back or turn back.
Luke 9:57-62 Amplified Bible (AMP)
57 And it occurred that as they were going along the road, a man said to Him, Lord, I will follow You wherever You go.
58 And Jesus told him, Foxes have lurking holes and the birds of the air have roosts and nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay His head.
60 But Jesus said to him, Allow the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and publish abroad [c]throughout all regions the kingdom of God.
61 Another also said, I will follow You, Lord, and become Your disciple and side with Your party; but let me first say good-bye to those at my home.
62 Jesus said to him, No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back [to the things behind] is fit for the kingdom of God.
- Luke 9:59 Joseph Thayer, A Greek-English Lexicon.
- Luke 9:59 Many commentators interpret it thus.
- Luke 9:60 Marvin Vincent, Word Studies.
James 1:5-8 New Living Translation (NLT)
5 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. 6 But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. 7 Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do.