Effective prayers have helped me. Lately I am more and more aware of my prayers being answered and granted. I have gathered below several New Testament prayers and the condition of the prayerful hearts that God looks for, as recorded in the Scriptures. I pray that many too will find strength and wisdom from the prayers.
What Jesus (and also as testified by the Holy Spirit in the Scriptures) has thus taught His disciples and believers:
- Matthew 5:1-12 God is pleased to bless this heart and attitude. God likes a humble heart.
- Matthew 6:5-8, 14-15 God looks for the right attitude and motive. God likes a forgiving heart.
- Mathew 6:9-13; Luke 11:2-4 The prayer Jesus teaches His disciples to pray to our Father in heaven.
- Luke 11:5-13 Jesus teaches His disciples on the prerequisite of prayer: be persistent; take the initiative to pray-ask, seek, and knock; trust God as our Father in heaven who gives good gifts through the Holy Spirit.
- Hebrews 11:1-3,6 God is pleased with faith. God rewards faith. We cannot fake faith.
- Hebrews 10:35-39 We are saved by faith. God says that we will live by faith. Hold fast to the confidence that we shall be richly rewarded.
- Matthew 6:19-34 Jesus teaches us how to set our priorities. Focus on God’s things first.
- 1 John 5:13-15 For prayers to be heard, we need to pray according to the will of God. The prerequisite is that we must first know God and know Jesus, the Son of God He sent. Then we shall know His will, and have the confidence to approach Him and ask and know He will grant us those requests.
- 3 John 2-4 John’s all powerful and encompassing prayer for believers: Prosperity (success) in all aspects, health and spiritual strength.
- Ephesians 1:3, 1:15-23, 3:14-21 Paul’s all time prayers for the believers. To be spiritually open to know God, the hope of His calling, the greatness of His power toward those who believe, to be strengthened with power through the Holy Spirit in our inner men, to be rooted and established in God’s love (the love of Christ).